The Offshore Wind Training Institute (OWTI) intends to create, expand or improve SUNY-based programs that can demonstrably prepare students to pursue careers in the offshore wind industry, as well as create programs that assist working professionals seeking to transition into the offshore wind sector. The OWTI will ensure investments in programs for offshore wind workforce development leverage and mutually support work led by the SUNY academic institutions. The OWTI will develop partnerships directly with key state entities, including NYSERDA, and the New York State Governor’s Office and throughout the SUNY system. Specific responsibilities and areas to be addressed by the OWTI include:
- Identifying gaps and needs in the creation of an offshore wind workforce
- Engaging in outreach to SUNY institutions for offshore wind
- Promoting opportunities available within SUNY in the offshore wind energy field
- Developing criteria for awarding Smart Energy (SUNY) money
- Convening stakeholders and experts to expeditiously draft and distribute RFPs/Calls for Proposals to SUNY institutions, recommending awards and amounts, and monitoring compliance within the terms of these awards.
Press Release 2/09/2024: Governor Hochul Announces $4 Million in Grants for Offshore Wind Training and Workforce Development
The Council includes leadership from the following offices, educational institutions and organizations: